Onsite Engineer II
Looking for the next step in your career? Enjoy a challenge? Do you have an ambition for innovation? Want to make a difference?
If you join our growing global team, you’ll be working for an industry leader with offices across five continents, in over 47 countries and more than 28 000 employees. You will work with some of the leading world brands across the Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies – who are all relying on Dimension Data to help them use the power of technology to achieve their ambition in this digital era.You’ll be part of a team who’s passionate about making a difference to the way technology shapes how we live and work – whether it’s protecting the rhino, connecting the G20 Summit, or revolutionising cycling, giving you the opportunity to do great things.
You’ll be joining a Global Top Employer, recognised for investing in talent because people are at the heart of our success. You provide the skills, passion and ideas, and we’ll provide the platform to realise your ambitions.Great talent. Great teams. Great work. Great opportunities.
Want to be part of our team?
The primary role of the Engineer is to provide technical assistance for the support of the client’s network environment ensuring the highest levels of customer satisfaction are maintained. This is done both individually and through the resources available to them on the team and through various vendors. The Engineer will execute incident, problem, change, and release efforts. The day-to-day function of the Engineer is to handle all severity cases as presented in the queue, to attain and maintain a professional level of training, certifications, experience, and knowledge, and to aid colleagues and the client teams alike in resolving their complex technical issues. This role must have prior experience providing excellent customer support and will be required to participate in troubleshooting issues with various client support teams and escalation resources.
What you'll be doing
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Below are the essential duties related to the GSC cases:
- Incident Acceptance, Qualification/Diagnosis
- Incident Restore (< P1)
- Incident Escalation
- Problem Discovery & Investigation
- Release Implementation
- Change Implementation
- Responsible for monitoring, assessing, managing and troubleshooting the client’s global enterprise network
- Provide ownership and direction on a case until resolution is reached, collaborate with fellow engineers and external resources, and assure positive verbal and written communication with both colleagues and client staff members at every stage of the process
- Gather information regarding cases and work to resolve issues on their own but know when to escalate for assistance to gain experience leveraging monitoring and debugging tools to analyze problems and identify solutions
- n Investigate and solve technical issues encompassing hardware, software and network equipment specifically related to Routing & Switching
- Determine methods and procedures for solving complex technical issues encompassing hardware, software and network equipment specifically related to Routing & Switching
- Handle technical troubleshooting in complex scenarios and utilize monitoring and debugging tools to analyze problems
- Provide high-quality technical support, speaking with a confident level of technical understanding, resolving technical problems and helping to proactively prevent new issues
- Keep up-to-date with new technology and product offerings to provide support as soon as they are launched into the market
- Provide technical assistance to the Deployment Teams, when requested
- Working as part of a dedicated team completing “shift” rotations as required ensuring adequate support coverage on site is always provided
- Positively represent Dimension Data to the client and ensure maximum client satisfaction
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a closely related field, or 2 - 5+ years related work experience.
- Preferred certification(s): Professional-level mandatory, i.e. CCNA, CCNP, JNCIP, FCNSP, RCSP, VCP, MCITP, etc.
Work Experience Required
- A minimum of 2-5 years of experience working on formally structured IT projects or supporting IT environments with a strong background configuring, troubleshooting and supporting IT technologies across many vendors and platforms.
- Direct and practical experience specializing in Routing & Switching. A working knowledge or experience in Transport/Wireless, Voice, Security, and Data Center technologies is preferred.
- Technical ability to understand the issues related to day to day operations
- Excellent communications, interpersonal and analytical skills
Skills and Core Competencies
- Ability to work autonomously while handling multiple simultaneous client incidents, problems or projects
- Leverage both proven and innovative technology approaches to solve challenging business problems
- Must possess the ability to collaborate and work successfully with remote peers and teams
- Ability to work with vendors and other third parties to manage escalations
- Demonstrate the following: the ability to appear for work on time; the ability to accept constructive criticism; the ability to maintain and develop positive team cohesiveness; and the ability to understand and follow work rules and procedures
- Full understanding and operational knowledge of loop prevention protocols like spanning tree protocols
- Full understanding and operational knowledge for troubleshooting of routing protocols like EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, RIP etc.
- Full understanding of firewalls & different deployment architectures
- Complete understanding of network security concepts
- Full understanding of using network management tools, Netflow, Splunk, sniffer & how to use a sniffer for troubleshooting purposes
- Working knowledge of proxy servers, WAN optimization
- Plan and implement Power-downs, DR, FLSE & NISE
- Working knowledge of DWDM (Adva), ULL environment, basic Linux skills, DDOS, NIDS, virtualization
The Onsite Engineer position consults and collaborates with multiple teams and individuals alike, this includes other onsite team members, the Service Operations Manager and the Client Delivery Executive. In addition, the Onsite Engineer also engages with the full complement of the clients engineering teams including various Global support teams, Advance Services Engineers and Deployment Engineers. The Onsite Engineer will also be required to engage with multiple vendor resources for more complex technical issues as required.
What would make you a good fit for this role?
Join our growing global team and accelerate your career with Dimension Data. Apply today.
Diversity in Dimension Data
Dimension Data is an equal opportunity employer with a global culture that embraces diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be unfairly discriminated against on any arbitrary ground including race, colour, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or other protected category.