Looking for the next step in your career? Enjoy a challenge? Do you have an ambition for innovation? Want to make a difference?
If you join our growing global team, you’ll be working for an industry leader with offices across five continents, in over 47 countries and more than 28 000 employees. You will work with some of the leading world brands across the Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies – who are all relying on Dimension Data to help them use the power of technology to achieve their ambition in this digital era.You’ll be part of a team who’s passionate about making a difference to the way technology shapes how we live and work – whether it’s protecting the rhino, connecting the G20 Summit, or revolutionising cycling, giving you the opportunity to do great things.
You’ll be joining a Global Top Employer, recognised for investing in talent because people are at the heart of our success. You provide the skills, passion and ideas, and we’ll provide the platform to realise your ambitions.Great talent. Great teams. Great work. Great opportunities.
Want to be part of our team?
The Research and Development (R & D) Senior Software Engineer is a mid-level position in the R & D Software Engineering job family.
The primary responsibility of the R & D Senior Software Engineer is the growth of the organisation’s technology portfolio through concept/idea formulation and prototype development in line with the business strategy, requirements and specifications. These individuals participate in the evolution and development of new innovative architectures and methods to maintain, upgrade, replace and improve the long-term performance of the existing architectures. They will be required to interact with development teams, Project Managers and Business Analysts and create and/or translate business requirements into executable test plans. R & D Senior Software Engineers estimate, plan and coordinate testing activities ensuring that issues and defects are appropriately identified, documented, tracked and resolved in the relevant systems. This individual will clearly outline the current state of the products and projects by communicating any and all risks to the team throughout the project lifecycle.
What you'll be doing
- Design and build high quality software components for Cloud Computing
- Contribute to the evolution of the overall product technical architecture – in particular, lead the effort to ensure that our cloud solutions are interactive, intuitive, consistent and very easy for customers to navigate and use
- Work closely with Product Management to refine product requirements into UI designs and detailed technical requirements
- On-going enhancement of software development life-cycle and software engineering best practices
- Evaluate 3rd party technology and tools, as required
What would make you a good fit for this role?
Technical Skills Required:
- 8+ years experience developing enterprise web application software with Java, using open source frameworks and tools
- Background in Cloud/Infrastructure as a Service utilizing stateless architectures with high availability, continuous integration and supporting no downtime updates
- UI/UX experience:
- Experience with event driven UI frameworks is essential
- Experience with frameworks like AngularJS, Backbone and Ember is an advantage
- Experience capturing statistics on customer usage, profiling user experience
- Wireframing / Prototyping
- UI design using vector based tools such as Adobe Illustrator or iDraw is an advantage
- Knowledge of UI design patterns
- Knowledge of Spring MVC or similar frameworks is an advantage but non-critical
- Ability to analyse and apply CSS across differing web browsers
- Knowledge of XML, XSD, JAXB and related technologies
- Experience with the Atlassian toolset – Confluence, JIRA.
- Experience with Jetbrains tools an advantage (IntelliJ IDEA, Google Android Studio, WebStorm, etc.)
- Experience with agile software development methodologies.
Personal Skills Required:
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Proven team player
- Flexibility in a dynamic, fast paced work environment
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Focused with strong attention to detail, particularly in user interface design and implementation.
Join our growing global team and accelerate your career with Dimension Data. Apply today.
Diversity in Dimension Data
Dimension Data is an equal opportunity employer with a global culture that embraces diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be unfairly discriminated against on any arbitrary ground including race, colour, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or other protected category.