Solution Consultant Team Lead
Looking for the next step in your career? Enjoy a challenge? Do you have an ambition for innovation? Want to make a difference?
If you join our growing global team, you’ll be working for an industry leader with offices across five continents, in over 47 countries and more than 28 000 employees. You will work with some of the leading world brands across the Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies – who are all relying on Dimension Data to help them use the power of technology to achieve their ambition in this digital era.You’ll be part of a team who’s passionate about making a difference to the way technology shapes how we live and work – whether it’s protecting the rhino, connecting the G20 Summit, or revolutionising cycling, giving you the opportunity to do great things.
You’ll be joining a Global Top Employer, recognised for investing in talent because people are at the heart of our success. You provide the skills, passion and ideas, and we’ll provide the platform to realise your ambitions.Great talent. Great teams. Great work. Great opportunities.
Want to be part of our team?
The CS Senior Technical Architect (STA) specifies and designs solutions based on their technical expertise across one or more technology domains and takes responsibility for the successful overall technical design and build of the custom elements of the solution to meet a client’s business requirements. They select and apply appropriate design standards, methods and tools, consistent with the agreed enterprise and solution architectures and ensure that these are effectively applied and adopted. They use their previous technical project lead experience to guide successful implementation and execution of system solutions.
Senior Technical Architects usually demonstrate broad product knowledge integrated with deep technology understanding.
What you'll be doing
- Client stakeholders: Engages with relevant IT stakeholders (e.g Enterprise Architects, Solutions Architects, etc), vendors
- Internal stakeholders: Engages with Solution Architects, Client Managers, Engineers, Consultants, Service Architects and Project Managers.
Value Chain Linkage
- Define requirements
- Create Options
- Evaluate Options
- Roadmap participation
Skills and attributes
Takes responsibility for understanding client requirements, collecting data, delivering analysis and problem resolution. Identifies, evaluates and recommends options, implementing if required. Collaborates with, and facilitates stakeholder groups, as part of formal or informal consultancy agreements. Seeks to fully address client needs, enhancing the capabilities and effectiveness of client personnel, by ensuring that proposed solutions are properly understood and appropriately exploited.
Actively maintains knowledge in one or more identifiable specialisms. Provides detailed and specific advice regarding the application of their specialism(s) to the organisation's planning and operations. Recognises and identifies the boundaries of their own specialist knowledge. Collaborates with other specialists, where appropriate, to ensure advice given is appropriate to the needs of the organisation.
Contributes to the development of solution architectures in specific business, infrastructure or functional areas. Identifies and evaluates alternative architectures and the trade-offs in cost, performance and scalability. Produces specifications of cloud-based or on-premises components, tiers and interfaces, for translation into detailed designs using selected services and products. Supports a change programme or project through the preparation of technical plans and application of design principles that comply with enterprise and solution architecture standards (including security).
Requirements definition and management
Defines and manages scoping, requirements definition and prioritisation activities for small-scale changes and assists with more complex change initiatives. Follows agreed standards, applying appropriate techniques to elicit and document detailed requirements. Provides constructive challenge to stakeholders as required. Prioritises requirements and documents traceability to source. Reviews requirements for errors and omissions. Provides input to the requirements base-line. Investigates, manages and applies authorised requests for changes to base-lined requirements, in line with change management policy.
Designs components using appropriate modelling techniques following agreed architectures, design standards, patterns and methodology. Identifies and evaluates alternative design options and trade-offs. Creates multiple design views to address the concerns of the different stakeholders of the architecture and to handle both functional and non-functional requirements. Models, simulates or prototypes the behaviour of proposed systems components to enable approval by stakeholders. Produces detailed design specification to form the basis for construction of systems. Reviews, verifies and improves own designs against specifications.
Implements stakeholder engagement/communications plan. Deals with problems and issues, managing resolutions, corrective actions, lessons learned and the collection and dissemination of relevant information. Collects and uses feedback from customers and stakeholders to help measure effectiveness of stakeholder management. Helps develop and enhance customer and stakeholder relationships.
Solution design and implementation
The CS STA is a consultative sale, technology and solution focused specialist who can establish and create excellent client relationships with their technical expertise. In addition to being a trusted technical advisor to the client, they have a responsibility for solution design, business development and transition of projects from presales to delivery as well as ongoing sales support. The STA provides pre-sales technical support and expertise in analysing client requirements, in conjunction with the client’s current infrastructure, architecture, system capabilities and business challenges. They ensure technical solutions accomplish the client’s objectives and are required to delivery consulting assessments.
The STA will work with Solutions Architects (SAs) to produce a technical specification for the solution’s custom development and systems integration requirements. They will develop the technical design document to match the solution design specifications. The STA will assess the pros and cons of different technical methods, products and processes available to create a solution, when preparing the proposed architecture and solution design. This includes consideration of functional and non-functional requirements. They will also map business processes and relationships clearly, in line with the solution features, and ensure that the recommended approach supports the overall scope of the solution.
Contribute to proposals
The TA will demonstrate strong client engagement skills. This requires the ability to lead the scope of work determination, product pricing and RFP/RFI responses. They will work closely with the Client Manager (CM) throughout this process and assist in the decision to pursue or halt a deal. They will also assist with service provision and product pricing where and when required. The STA collaborates with the CM to develop an implementation solution.
The STA will achieve products sales to meet specified financial goals according to specified financial metrics. The CS Senior Technical Architect has responsibility for influencing and guiding members of the Sales team to ensure that they are equipped to close deals. They need to maintain visibility of forecasting and sales pipeline in order to influence potential deals.
Proof of concept
A strong vendor relationship is required to ensure an understanding of the vendor’s products, business and technology positioning. They maintain a relationship with relevant vendors and incorporating their architect best practices and consulting support into DD. The individual manages client proof of concept (POC) initiatives, which require appropriation of appropriate resources, and setup and delivery of the POC. To obtain a working client solution, the individual acts as a bridge between the client, Engineers and Consultants (technical solution viability) and Project Management teams (project initiation).
On all medium to large sized engagements, the CS Senior Technical Architect owns the proposed solution and transitions the build / implementation to the delivery team. This means that he/she remains engaged with the client all the way through to the transfer to managed service. All processes should comply with defined project management methodologies.
Coaching and training
The individual trains and coaches the sales team and when applicable, teams of Engineers and Consultants to transfer product knowledge. The CS Senior Technical Architect also mentors the Product Specialist and Product Supporters. They are responsible for effective knowledge transfer to technical teams to deliver as per the technical design documentation
They use their previous technical project lead experience to guide successful implementation of a system solution. They may be required to manage multiple development designs and projects to meet client and project timelines. They need to accurately interpret relevant information, gaps, errors and inaccurate data and identify trends, risks and opportunities.
Specifically relating to opportunity pursuit, the CS Senior Technical Architect will:
- Evaluate each opportunity for alignment with Dimension Data capabilities and business policy.
- Prepare executive summary outlining all information gathered from the client
- Document proposed technology solution and statement of work. This includes all labour requirements
- Work with the Client Manager to prepare the pricing format supplied to clients
- Perform the actual solution design and prepare a parts list outlining equipment to be provided
- Develop and manage a proof-of-concept
- Engage all technical resources required for an accurate solution design
- Prepare a network diagram outlining the proposed solution
- Document all deliverables
- Review the final parts list and submit all information to the applicable bid team for final assembly
- Verify the proposal’s accuracy and sign off on the final documents
- Assist the CM during the final presentation to the customer as appropriate
As technical owner, provide direction for the ongoing maintenance of solutions sets, including new developments in response to environment and market changes and an ongoing analysis of the effectiveness of the solution. The TA ensures high-levels of standardisation in design and construction.
- Continuous business and industry research to guide critical evaluation of architectural and design patterns and principles.
- Identify topics of potential interest to the organisation such as industry trends and state-of-the-art technology
- Identify topics of interest to the organisation relating to existing technology and processes
- Prepare a proposal for research work, research topics, document the results and commit the output to a body of knowledge
- Apply research findings to the analysis phase of upcoming initiatives, ongoing implementation efforts and to planning for future initiatives
- Build business cases for capabilities
- Define selection and assessment criteria
- Identify candidate technologies that provide desired capabilities
- Engage with technology vendors
- Facilitate Proof of Concept (POC) and Proof of Technology (POT) engagements
- Facilitate Request for Proposal (RFP) engagements
Next career steps
- CS Principal Technical Architect
- CS Senior Solutions Architect
- Qualification in Information Technology, Computer Science or Information Systems
- Certification and working knowledge of Enterprise Architecture methodologies (e.g. TOGAF, Zachman, SOA, ITIL, COBIT, etc)
- Relevant vendor and industry certifications, e.g. Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle,
- Software and programming languages, e.g. C++
- Scaled Agile certification (relevant) advantageous
Work experience required
- At least 5 years’ professional technical experience related to software development, systems design and deployment or networking and infrastructure in a large scale (preferably multi-national) technology services environment
- Minimum 3 years in a professional technical role
- Proven track record as a developer and architect of new systems/solutions
- Previous work experience working as a systems administrator or network engineer
- Proven client engagement and development consulting experience
- Experience managing expectations when balancing alternatives against business and financial constraints
- Proven experience in a variety of architectures for specific domain or specialisation
- Knowledgeable in core frameworks used and strong knowledge of the problem domain that their systems are to provide solutions for
- Experienced designer and development know-how
- Project management experience
- Experience presenting technical solutions to non-technical audiences
What would make you a good fit for this role?
Join our growing global team and accelerate your career with Dimension Data. Apply today.
Diversity in Dimension Data
Dimension Data is an equal opportunity employer with a global culture that embraces diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be unfairly discriminated against on any arbitrary ground including race, colour, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or other protected category.