MS Services Engineer
Looking for the next step in your career? Enjoy a challenge? Do you have an ambition for innovation? Want to make a difference?
If you join our growing global team, you’ll be working for an industry leader with offices across five continents, in over 47 countries and more than 28 000 employees. You will work with some of the leading world brands across the Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies – who are all relying on Dimension Data to help them use the power of technology to achieve their ambition in this digital era.You’ll be part of a team who’s passionate about making a difference to the way technology shapes how we live and work – whether it’s protecting the rhino, connecting the G20 Summit, or revolutionising cycling, giving you the opportunity to do great things.
You’ll be joining a Global Top Employer, recognised for investing in talent because people are at the heart of our success. You provide the skills, passion and ideas, and we’ll provide the platform to realise your ambitions.Great talent. Great teams. Great work. Great opportunities.
Want to be part of our team?
The role is responsible for providing a service to clients to ensure that their IT infrastructure and systems remain operational through proactively identifying, investigating and resolving technical incidents and problems and to restore service to clients by managing incidents to resolution.
Their primary objective is to ensure zero missed service level agreement conditions. The MS Services Engineer (L1) focuses on first line support for standard and low complexity incidents.
What you'll be doing
- Internal: engage with internal services engineering team, receive instructions, and manage escalation of incidents as necessary following agreed procedures.
- External: proactively act as first-line technical support for clients and monitoring platform (including call handling, ticket creation and logging and the analysis, assignment and escalation thereof).
Value Chain Linkage
- Managed Services Operations Centre
- Managed Services Center of Excellence (CoE)
- Managed Services Transition
- Managed Services Cross Functional Services
Skills and attributes
Identifies and resolves technical problems and fulfils requests following agreed procedures. Uses appropriate and standard tools and procedures to diagnose and resolve incidents. Carries out agreed maintenance tasks and fulfils requests as required.
Service Level Management:
Proactively monitors and confirms the resolution of incidents or completion of requests such that accurate service level measurements are maintained.
Following agreed procedures, identifies, registers and categorises incidents. Gathers information to enable incident resolution, resolves incidents according to agreed procedures and where necessary promptly allocates incidents to other functions or resolver groups. Update knowledge articles to reflect new work instructions or procedures.
Applies tools, techniques and processes to track, log, report on and correct configuration items, components and changes.
Service Request Management:
Apply standard process and procedures to fulfil requests from clients, adhering to service level agreements or operational agreements. Route them to the right function, resolver group as necessary. Update knowledge articles to reflect new work instructions or procedures.
Work effectively as part of a team which may be local or virtual/global.
Monitor operational infrastructure:
The MS - Services Engineer (L1) monitors client infrastructure and solutions. In this regard they will respond to monitoring events and perform corrective and/or resolution actions or escalated accordingly and/or log as required.
Identify problems and errors:
The MS – Services Engineer (L1) identifies problems and errors prior to or when they occur by monitoring the system. He or she will log all such incidents in a timely manner with the required level of detail necessary. They liaise with all stakeholders including client IT environments, vendors, carriers and Dimension Data colleagues to expedite diagnosis of errors and problems and to identify a resolution. The MS – Services Engineer (L1) will routinely identify common incidents and opportunities for avoidance as well as general opportunities for incident reduction. This could include identification of problematic systems in a client environment or regular times certain incidents occur. They will either identify potential solutions for reduction/avoidance or seek assistance from L2+ team members or other functional teams. MS Service Engineer (L1) also flags any repeat incidents or service requests for automation.
When required they will take responsibility receiving calls, emails, chat sessions and incidents at the services desk. They assist in analysing, resolving and where required assigning and escalating the support requests. They also provide telephonic or chat support to clients where required. They update incidents with progress and resolution details.
Execute approved maintenance activities:
Where required, the MS – Services Engineer (L1) will execute approved maintenance activities. These activities could include system patching, system upgrades including software deployment or configuration changes. Taking direction from their team leader or senior team members, they will execute the maintenance activities assigned to them. This will include familiarising themselves with the work instructions, ensuring the change record is approved, executing the activities according to work instructions, executing any exceptions or errors to senior team members and updating the change record to indicate the completion time and status.
Ensure resolution of incidents and requests:
Investigate incidents assigned to them and apply appropriate procedures to resolve them. Apply standard operating procedures for service requests. Ensure efficient and comprehensive resolution of incidents and service requests. This could involve resolution following agreed procedures calling on their own technical skills and competency or ensuring that resolution is completed by coordinating with other team members. They will also report and escalate issues to 3rd party vendors if necessary. They take full ownership for managing the incident to resolution within the service level conditions. Where necessary, they escalate incidents and requests to a resolver group or other functional teams. Provide continuous feedback to clients and affected parties and update all systems and/or portals as prescribed by Dimension Data procedures.
MS – Services Engineers (L1) that work shifts will be required to follow the required handover procedures for shift changes to ensure service continuity. They complete and maintain any shift hand hover schedules.
They will utilise knowledge management systems as part of all work activities to ensure adherence to agreed procedures. They will proactively identify opportunities for additions, modifications or improvements to knowledge management systems in order to reduce incident resolution time and increase the number of activities that can be completed at L1.
They will proactively identify opportunities for work optimisation including opportunities for automation of work, request fulfilment and incident resolution tasks performed by L2+ that could be completed by L1, opportunities for repeat incident avoidance and other general process improvement opportunities.
Next career steps
- MS – Services Engineer (L2)
- Senior Service Delivery Service Desk Agent
- Incident Coordinator (Cross Functional Services)
- Diploma, degree or relevant qualification in IT/Computing (or demonstrated equivalent work experience)
- 15 years of education
- ITIL v3 Foundation
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Routing and Switching (CCNA-R/S)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Wireless (CCNA-WL)
- Riverbed Certified Solutions Associate - WAN Optimization (RCSA-W)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Security (CCNA-SEC)
- IP, WINS, DHCP, DNC, etc
- MS-Office, MS-Outlook, Symantec Backup Exec, Symantec EndPoint Protection, Symantec System Recovery, Citrix Go-To-Assist
- MS-Active Directory
- MS-Windows Server
- MS-Windows XP Professional
- MS-Windows Terminal Server
- MS-Exchange Server
- MS-SQL Server
- MS-IIS Server
- Citrix Metaframe
- Switches and Routers
- SonicWall Firewalls and SSL VPN Security Appliances
- Cisco Firewalls and Routers
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Data Center (CCNA-DC)
- MCSA+VCP, RHCE or equivalent
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Video (CCNA-VID)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Voice (CCNA-V)
Any of the above certifications is a plus. The MS – Services Engineer (L1) is expected to gain certifications relevant to services supported. Certifications carry additional weight on candidate’s qualification for the role.
Work experience required
- 2 - 4 years’ work experience or completion of relevant intern program
- 1 to 2 years of experience with troubleshooting and providing support required in network/ data centre/ systems/ storage administration and monitoring Services within a medium to large ICT organisation.
- Working knowledge of management agent, redundancy concepts, and products within the supported technical domain (i.e. Network, Data Center, Telephony, Exchange, Storage, Cloud, Backup etc)
What would make you a good fit for this role?
Roles y Responsablilidades:
- Perfil profesional con al menos 3 años de experiencia en entornos complejos de comunicaciones unificadas. Muy valosable experiecia en Genesys y Netscout.
- Experiencia en soporte de SONDA NETSCOUT: Instalación, configuración y mantenimiento de los elementos de la sonda.
- Experiencia en soporte BASICO SBC’s: Monitorización del estado de HW e interfaces. Troubleshooting y captura de trazas.
- Experiencia en RED PUBLICA NGN: Soporte y escalado al operador de la red. Soporte a migración.
- Creación, gestión, soporte, seguimiento y resolución de incidencias de distintos elementos de la plataforma UCC: Red MPLS, SipSoftphone, Agent desktop, Logger, MCP's, Sip Server.
- Monitorización proactiva de enlaces MPLS, VPRN's, ancho de banda, tuneles, interfaces de interconexión, Logger, grabadores, bases de datos.
- Escalado y seguimiento de incidencias a las distintas áreas del servicio (networking, sistemas, mantenedor, etc)
Join our growing global team and accelerate your career with Dimension Data. Apply today.
Diversity in Dimension Data
Dimension Data is an equal opportunity employer with a global culture that embraces diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be unfairly discriminated against on any arbitrary ground including race, colour, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or other protected category.