Service Delivery Support Engineer
Looking for the next step in your career? Enjoy a challenge? Do you have an ambition for innovation? Want to make a difference?
If you join our growing global team, you’ll be working for an industry leader with offices across five continents, in over 47 countries and more than 28 000 employees. You will work with some of the leading world brands across the Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies – who are all relying on Dimension Data to help them use the power of technology to achieve their ambition in this digital era.You’ll be part of a team who’s passionate about making a difference to the way technology shapes how we live and work – whether it’s protecting the rhino, connecting the G20 Summit, or revolutionising cycling, giving you the opportunity to do great things.
You’ll be joining a Global Top Employer, recognised for investing in talent because people are at the heart of our success. You provide the skills, passion and ideas, and we’ll provide the platform to realise your ambitions.Great talent. Great teams. Great work. Great opportunities.
Want to be part of our team?
The role is responsible for providing a professional second-line remote and onsite technical support and field engineering service to clients by proactively identifying and resolving technical incidents and problems. Through pre-emptive service incident and resolution activities, this role will restore service to clients by managing incidents and seeing them through to an effective resolution. Their primary objective is to ensure all requests, process events and resolution incidents result in zero missed SLA conditions. The role is responsible for managing incidents of medium complexity.
What you'll be doing
Internal: engage with GDC Service Operations team, receive instructions, and manage escalation incidents to L3 Field Engineer or 3rd party vendors as necessary.
External: proactively act as second-line remote and onsite technical support and provide field engineering services for clients (including the analysis, assignment and escalation thereof).
Value Chain Linkage
- Service Operations
- Service Transition
Skills and attributes
Maintains the support process and checks that all requests for support are dealt with according to agreed procedures. Uses service assurance software and tools to investigate and diagnose problems, collect performance statistics and create reports, working with users, other staff and suppliers as appropriate. Identifies and resolves problems following agreed procedures. Uses service assurance software and tools to collect agreed performance statistics. Carries out agreed maintenance tasks. Ensure usage of knowledge articles in problem diagnosis and resolution.
Service Level Management:
Performs defined tasks to monitor service delivery against service level agreements and maintains records of relevant information. Analyses service records against agreed service levels regularly to identify actions required to maintain or improve levels of service, and initiates or reports these actions. Monitors service delivery performance metrics and liaises with managers and customers to ensure that service level agreements are not breached without the stakeholders being given the opportunity of planning for a deterioration in service.
Prioritises and diagnoses incidents according to agreed procedures. Investigates causes of incidents and seeks resolution. Escalates unresolved incidents. Facilitates recovery, following resolution of incidents. Documents and closes resolved incidents according to agreed procedures. Following agreed procedures, identifies, registers and categorises incidents. Gathers information to enable incident resolution through adoption of knowledge articles and promptly allocates incidents as appropriate. Maintains records and advises relevant persons.
Maintains secure configuration, applying and maintaining tools, techniques and processes to identify, track, log and maintain accurate, complete and current information. Applies tools, techniques and processes to track, log and correct information related to CIs, ensuring protection of assets and components from unauthorised change, diversion and inappropriate use.
Investigates problems in systems, processes and services. Assists with the implementation of agreed remedies and preventative measures.
Maintains knowledge of specific specialisms, provides detailed advice regarding their application and executes specialised tasks. The specialism can be any area of information or communication technology, technique, method, product or application area.
Python, XML, REST API Programming
Ensure operational infrastructure
They ensure that assigned infrastructure at the client site is configured, installed, tested and operational. In this regard, they will perform necessary checks, apply monitoring tools and respond to alerts. Where software is a component of the solution they will also take responsibility for ensuring that the software is installed and configured according to client requirements.
Identify problems and errors
The L2 Field Engineer identifies problems and errors prior to or when they occur. He or she will log all such incidents in a timely manner with the required level of detail. They liaise with all stakeholders including client IT environments, vendors, carriers and Dimension Data colleagues to expedite diagnosis of errors and problems and to identify a resolution.
Ensure resolution of incidents and requests
They investigate second line support calls assigned to them and identify the root cause of incidents and problems. They ensure the efficient and comprehensive resolution of incidents and requests. This could involve ensuring that repairs are carried out by coordinating product requests and liaising with other team members. They will also report and escalate issues to 3rd party vendors if necessary. They take full ownership for managing the incident to resolution within the service level conditions. Where necessary, they escalate requests and exceptions to the 3nd line support team. They provide continuous feedback to clients and affected parties and update all systems and/or portals as prescribed by Dimension Data procedures.
They ensure incidents are updated with progress and resolution details in a timely manner using the ITSM Mobile Apps.
L2 Field Engineers that work shifts will be required to follow the required handover procedures for shift changes to ensure service continuity. They complete and maintain any shift handover schedules, including but not limited to:
- Scheduling hardware/firmware upgrades and repairs with client
- Providing Incident Report on unplanned systems / service downtime information
- Preparing RCA for all business critical incidents and downtime
- Performing software upgrades/patches
- Recovering/escalating if problems encountered before/after the patch installations
- Co-ordination of implementation activities.
Next career steps
- Degree or relevant qualification in IT/Computing
- ITIL v3 Foundation
- Cisco Certified Network Professional - Routing and Switching (CCNP-R/S)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional - Wireless (CCNP-W)
- Juniper Networks Certified Support Professional - Enterprise Routing and Switching (JNCSP-ENT)
- Certified Partner SE - WAN Optimization
- Riverbed Certified Solutions Associate - WAN Optimization (RCSA-W)
- 201 TMOS Administration
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Security (CCNA-SEC)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional - Security
- Check Point Certified Security Administrator (CCSA)
- Check Point Certified Security Administrator NG with Application Intelligence (CCSA-NG AI)
- Check Point Certified Security Expert (CCSE)
- Certified Partner SE - Security
- VMware Certified Professional vSphere
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Data Center (CCNA-DC)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional - Data Center (CCNP-DC)
- MCSA+VCP, RHCE or equivalent
- EMC Technology Architect, VNX Solutions Specialist Version 8.0 (EMCTA_VNX_SS_V8)
- Blue Coat Certified Proxy SG Professional
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Video (CCNA-VID)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate - Voice (CCNA-V)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional - Voice (CCNP-V)
- ACIS - Avaya Communication Manager 5.2.1 (ACIS – 6006)
Additional certifications (preferred):
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert - Routing and Switching (CCIE-R/S)
- F5 Certified Technology Specialist Local Traffic Management (F5-CTS-LTM)
- JNCIA Security
- 301a LTM Specialist Architect Setup and Deploy Security domain
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert - Security (CCIE-S)
- Certified Partner SE - Web Security
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert - Certification - Data Center (CCIE-DC)
- Blue Coat Certified Proxy SG Troubleshooting (BCCPSGT)
Work experience required
- 6 – 8 years’ work experience
- 4+ years’ experience required in network/ security/ systems/ storage administration and Monitoring Services within a medium to large ICT organisation.
- Working knowledge of management agent, redundancy concepts, remote console architecture, and products within the supported technical domain (i.e. Network, Storage, Security etc)
What would make you a good fit for this role?
Join our growing global team and accelerate your career with Dimension Data. Apply today.
Diversity in Dimension Data
Dimension Data is an equal opportunity employer with a global culture that embraces diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be unfairly discriminated against on any arbitrary ground including race, colour, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or other protected category.